Domaine Francois Jobard Meursault 1er Cru Blagny 2019
About the wine:
• Vines are trained in Guyot (Poussard style)
• Finished wines are bottled unfined and in some vintages, lightly filtered
• Grapes are pressed gently by pneumatic press, with little to no débourbage (settling of the must)
• Both primary and malolactic fermentations are in oak barrels, only 20% of which are new
• No stirring of the lees
• Aged from 20-23 months in barrel (4-5 years old)
About the producer:
The Jobard family produced red wine for many years, most notably from the Blagny 1er Cru La Pièce Sous le Bois. They pulled the vines after the 2006 vintage to replant the vineyard to Chardonnay, and Antoine has been looking for a way to make red wine again ever since.
In August of 2019 Antoine was able to lease the vineyards of the Domaine André Mussy, a once-thriving domaine in Pommard. The vineyards are completely organic, having never seen chemicals, and Antoine spent a lot of time revitalizing them well in advance of the 2019 harvest–an effort that really shows in his brilliant first effort from these vines. He farms 6 hectares in all, featuring a collection of village and premier cru wines from Beaune, Volnay, and Pommard.