Château de la Maltroye Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos du Château de la Maltroye Monopole 2018
About the wine:
About the producer:
• Owner: Jean Pierre Cournut
• Soil: solid limestone with sand and small stones. Pinot Noir vineyards have clay.
• Production: 60% White, 40% red. Jean Pierre is ‘defending’ Pinot Noir in Chassagne, a region that makes mostly Chardonnay (about 80%)
• Farming is sustainable since 1998, with plowing and work between vines.
• Jean Pierre restored the 15th Century cellar. Both the cellar and the vineyard in front of the Chateau (the Clos du Chateau) were hand cut out of solid limestone over 500 years ago. The cellar was recently sand blasted to return the original pure white luster.
• Jean Pierre is an avid modern art collector. Beginning with the 2009 vintage, he changed the label used since his grandfather’s time to the modern one above. Jean Pierre is a friend of the artist and he owns the original artwork. He preserved the memory of the old label by featuring it on the capsule (an image of the Chateau with its Clos du Chateau).