Domaine Nozay Sancerre Blanc “Clos du Nozay” 2019
About the wine:
Appellation: AOC Sancerre
• Encépagement: Sauvignon Blanc (100%)
In The Vineyard:
• Parcel Names, Slopes, and Locations: From a steep, south facing, single parcel known as "Le Nozay," completely surround- ed by stone walls and hedgerows
• Soil Types and Compositions: Kimmeridgian limestone marls (Terres Blanches)
• Vine Age, Training, and Density: Trained in Guyot and planted in 1973 at 7,000-8,800 vines/ha.
• Average Yields: c. 50 hl/ha.
• Average Harvest Date and Type: Exclusively manual, mid- late September
In The Cellar:
• Fermentation: Wine ferments spontaneously in terra cotta jars
• Pressing: Pneumatic, whole-cluster direct pressing
• Time on Lees: 10-12 months
• Malolactic Fermentation: Spontaneous, in tank in the spring • Élevage: 12 months in terra cotta jars
• Press Wine: Blended after pressing
• Fining and Filtration: Unfined, unfiltered
• Sulfur: Applied at only at bottling, 30-40 mg/l total sulfur
In The Glass:
The Clos du Nozay bottling displays a deep golden color, which leads to long notes of exotic fruits tied to the richness and breadth the wine gains from its time in terra cotta jars. While the nose presents aromas of citrus blossom and citrus fruits, the palate dis- plays explosive notes of pear, mango, and litchi. While true to its Sauvignon varietal roots, this wine’s richness and mineral cut point clearly to its origin on Kimmeridgian marls.