Domaine de Villaine Bouzeron de Aligote 2019
About the wine:
True to its varietal nature, Domaine de Villaine Bouzeron is a liveley, fruity wine, but it also has a finesse and roundness that spring from the essential nature of the terroir. These qualities lend it great versatility. To best appreciate the freshness and fruit, our Bouzeron would be drunk young, within two or three years. To allow the wine to fully develop fullness and "fatness", age it for up to ten years.
• 100% Aligote is vinified in wood foudres, capacity of 30-40 hecto-liters
• The only intervention during fermentation and aging of wine is the maintaining of temperature between 20 and 22 degrees Celsius
• Each parcel is pressed separately in a small pneumatic press
• The must is put in stainless steel for a 24-36 hour cold-soak, then the wine is transferred to foudre where it stays for fermentation and élevage
• The lees are never stirred unless it is needed (in the case of reduction for example)
• The wine is raised for 10-12 months depending on the vintage
About the producer:
The de Villaines farm three appellations within the Côte Chalonaise, namely Bouzeron (Aligoté), Rully (Chardonnay and Pinot Noir) and Mercurey (Pinot Noir). Their single-vineyard parcels are stunning examples of what this complex and amazing terroir can yield. Though their wines are quite enjoyable young, their ability to age well is what one might expect from a master such as de Villaine. Much of this is due to both the diversity of his vinestock and his organic and biodynamic methodology in the vineyards, both of which Aubert stands by with great conviction. He also ferments his Mercureys and Rully rouge in wood tanks, a style adopted from DRC.